Saturday, November 13, 2010

Undivided Heart

“Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart to revere your name.” –Psalm 86:11

This is one of the most significant prayers to be found anywhere in Scripture. What a great verse to memorize? What a great verse to pray each morning? I think anyone who really knows God will begin to hunger for this reality. This is the deep hunger of our soul—to have a heart completely united in commitment to God. We want to be faithful to him as he is faithful to us. The promise of scripture is that Christ not only forgives our sin, but he also gives us the power to overcome sin. Thus, it is not necessary that sin should control and dominate our lives. Holiness is possible.

The psalmist knows this to be true and therefore asks God for a united heart. He doesn’t want to be divided any longer. He wants a heart that his wholly devoted to the Lord. I don’t know about you, but I yearn to have an undivided heart. I look forward to the day when all the pride and ego inside of me is gone. I’m not there yet, but I’m on my way. God is faithful…he will carry out his promise if we let him.

“May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this” (1 Thessalonians 5:23).