Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Year...New Resolutions!

Here are my 2012 New Year’s Resolutions! This year I’m going to attempt to keep at least half of them…maybe.

  1. Eat less pizza.
I put this one every year, but it will not really be possible until I retire from youth ministry.

  1. Teach my bulldog Charlie not to bark at every little sound.
Again, pretty sure this one is impossible.

  1. Spend more time in God’s creation.
“The heavens tell of the glory of God. The skies display his marvelous craftsmanship. Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make him known.” –Psalm 19:1-2

  1. Exercise more.
This is the token resolution that everyone must write down. So…here it is!

  1. Pray daily for my family and for the faithfulness and renewal of the Church.
A great prayer for the church can be found on page 574 in our United Methodist Hymnal.

  1. Read one of the gospels every month.
Be a lifelong student of Jesus…he’s pretty important.

  1. Dance as much as possible with my daughter Kenzie.
Our Mickey Mouse “Hot Dog” dance is epic.

  1. Have more dates with my wife.
And attending youth basketball games do not count.

  1. Attend a mission trip.
Since I’m the youth pastor I can make this happen every year. This year we’re going to inner city Nashville!

  1. Spend more time in prayer and scripture reading.
Granted, most people think it would be easy for a pastor to do this… “Aren’t you paid to read your Bible!?” However, it is very easy to spend the majority of our time occupied with other important matters. Nevertheless, ministry that is not rooted in prayer and God’s Word quickly becomes fruitless.